AddThis

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Apollo's Daily Diet, Part 2 - Your Questions Answered

Ok. As expected we’ve already got some questions about my meal plan. Trust me its extremely easy to follow because it doesn’t require the ingredients you can only find on Mount Olympus. Nor does it require years of discipline and ninja focus. Its all about timing and eating healthy. Lets point out some things about this plan so that you understand the whole thing better.

You don’t have to eat 8 meals a day. You can make do with 5 or 6. The whole point is not to over eat in a single sitting and keep on eating through out the day. This keeps you active, speeds up your metabolism and also makes sure you use whatever you eat. Each meal or snack should just be enough to satisfy your hunger. If you can achieve that with 5 or 6 meals/snacks, then good for you. If you are active though, your body will automatically demand more.

No, my meals timings are not absolute. It all depends on when you wake up and when you go to bed. Just because I have my first meal at 9am doesn’t mean that you need to wake up at 9. Make it easier for yourself. Adjust the meal intake to your own daily timings.

No, protein shakes are not only for body builders. Proteins are required for muscle repair and muscle building. If for any reason you cant get enough protein from your food, then protein shakes are an ideal way to provide you with it. Just one scoop can provide you with 23 gms of the stuff. You don’t have to drink the shakes if you are getting enough proteins from your other meals/food. But if you aren’t then drinking this wont make you look like a muscle maniac. Note: Protein shakes should be used as a snack in between your other meals. You should not replace your solid meals these things on a regular basis

Yes, my diet is low in fat. Actually its low in saturated fat. That’s the fat that we don’t need. It’s the kind that hides our true sexy selves behind a layer of flab and also causes heart trouble. That doesn’t mean that you have to go completely fat free though. Use low fat options and restrict your saturated fat intake (always mentioned on the food label) to less than 16gms a day for women and 20 gms a day for men. Of course if you’re trying to tone up, then for optimal results I would go even lower. But the above should give you a good measure to see if you’re over doing it on the fat.

No I don’t eat processed carbs and sugar on a regular basis. I stay the whole grain course. This has done wonders for my digestive system and helped in reducing my cholesterol and triglyceride count. I also have amazing energy that lasts me the whole day. Most importantly, whole grain carbs don’t mess around with my sugar levels. For those of you who are not regular exercisers, you should definitely stay away from processed sugar. Because chances are you aren’t going to use that sugar which will cause it to become fat and lead to other health problems.

Yes, I do have an occasional junk food fiesta. But that’s what it is – occasional. We are all human and sometimes we just feel like having stuff. You all should too. But keep it as an occasional thing. You will even enjoy it more.
 
Yes, I keep my meals light in the evening. I don’t like going to bed with a stomach full of carbs. I’m not going to be doing any activity for the next 8 hours so I choose not to eat food that is meant to provide me with energy. I do eat fruit immediately after my workout to replenish my internal energy source though. The natural sugar in the fruit does that for me.
 
Now that you have a better understanding of things, give the meal plan a go and see how much it works for you. Im sure it will keep you happy. And I would love to hear about that. So leave me your comments. 
 
Stay Fit
Apollo 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

how light should be your evening meal? is it ok if we eat the normal desi meal around 9pm? also is it fine to have a glass of skim/low fat milk an hour before going to bed? iv got a bit of belly fat but am quite lean otherwise and workout daily.

Apollo said...

If you are going with home made cooked food it should be ok as long as you use very little oil. But given that you said you have a little belly fat, I would say go with more chicken and vegetable based Desi food. Dont have potatoes. And if you must have rice or bread, then limit yourself to a fist size helping of rice or a couple of pieces of the bread. Try whole grain bread or wild rice.

The milk is fine.

Great job with the daily workout. Increase your cardio to minimum 3 days a week. If you are already lean , then doing 3 days of 45 mins cardio coupled with your weight training will help you get rid of the belly fat.
An excellent calorie burner and a great resistance and cardio workout is the Goliath workout challenge we have posted here. Search for the keyword "Goliath" and test it out. Its very challenging and sure to give you a great results.

G'Luck

Post a Comment

AddThisjjj

 
Top Sites Fitness